Third International Workshop
Digital Approaches to Cartographic Heritage
Barcelona, Catalunya, Spain 26 – 27 June 2008
Organized by the ICA Commission on Digital Technologies in Cartographic Heritage and the Institut Cartogràfic de Catalunya
Announcement - Call for papers
Venue: The Workshop will take place in Barcelona, the capital city of Catalunya, Spain, at the Institut Cartogràfic de Catalunya, Parc de Montjuïc (see map).
Participants and focus: This Workshop is addressed to scholars, researchers, map curators, map collectors, administrators, digital industry / market operators, and students coming from different cultural and educational backgrounds (humanistic, scientific and engineering) whose work is either focused on or affined to cartographic heritage. The Workshop will offer a common ground to colleagues from various disciplines and practice where they can meet, interact and exchange knowledge, experience, plans and ideas on how the digital revolution and modern information and communication technologies in general can or could be used and contribute to cartographic heritage in terms of acquisition, processing visualization and communication of relevant digital data.
Sessions: The sessions will basically follow the ICA Commission’s terms of reference:
Papers: The papers, not exceeding 5.000 words, should be e-mailed by April 10 for inclusion in the Workshop’s CD-ROM, which will be available to all participants.
- Introduce and establish the concept of "cartographic heritage". The multidisciplinary dimension of cartographic heritage.
- Transformation into digital form of old maps, globes and other cartographic documents. Comparison of digitization methods and technologies and development of relevant standards.
- Applications of digital techniques to the cartographic study (analysis and interpretation) of old maps and their geometric and thematic content. Tests of various analytic processes and visualization.
- Development and management of digital map libraries accessible to the general public. Digital tools to assist map curators, to aid the networking of map libraries and to allow in-situ and remote virtual access to cartographic heritage.
- Digital support for the preservation and restoration of old maps, atlases and globes.
- The use of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) and the web for the teaching and for the diffusion of the heritage of cartography and maps to the general public.
- The ‘digital needs’ of individual map collectors.
Proceedings: The presented papers will be published in the proceedings of the Workshop. Some of the papers in a shorter version will be also published in the international web journal on sciences and technologies affined to history of cartography and maps e-Perimetron [ISSN 1790-3769] following the journal’s editorial policy.
Language: The presentations will be given in English as well as the papers sent for inclusion in the Workshop’s CD-ROM and in the Proceedings. Papers to be published in e-Perimetron can be also written in French according to the journal’s editorial policy.
Accommodation: Barcelona offers easy accessibility for own booking (travel + hotel packages) in great variety of alternatives. The organizers suggest the participants to plan by their own as early as possible their travel and staying.
Participation form: Please fill the participation form [MSWord DOC] and send it asap to the contact e-mail addresses. Those who intend to present a paper please note a provisional title on the participation form.
Contact: [ Subject: ICA Workshop ]
The Commission Chair: email@example.com
The Workshop’s Desk:
firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Monday, February 18, 2008
CFP: Digital Approaches to Cartographic Heritage
By way of maphist: