SyntaxHighlighter

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Sharing the road

So, you find yourself in a free-wifi coffeeshop (or similar venue), where you're sharing bandwidth with others. You have a bunch of really big files that you need to transfer to a remote server so collaborators can get at them. You know that upload speed at your location is throttled pretty aggressively (my usual haunt has Bell South DSL, and I've never seen a big upload average higher than 48Kbps). So, it's likely that if you blast that stuff out it'll slow everybody in the venue (I tried. It did.).

This uses all the bandwidth it can get:
scp huge-file.zip myname@myserver.org:
This is more neighbor-friendly (my max upload speed is set to 10Kbps):
rsync --bwlimit=10 -e ssh huge-file.zip myname@myserver.org:
I really don't want to get thrown out of here ...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

--progress is a good option to give to rsync if you can't stand not knowing how fast your download or upload is going